Splunk Search

How can I display _time in my results using stats command?

EvansB
Path Finder

How can I display _time in my results using stats command
I get this field when I use "table _time"

EvansB_1-1645128730320.png
Just like the image above, I want to get the time field using stats and/or eval command
The image below is how my time events look like. 

EvansB_0-1645124157881.png

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

tshah-splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hey @EvansB,

You can simply use the below query to get the time field displayed in the stats table

| stats values(time) as time by _time 

Here, I  have kept _time and time as two different fields as the image displays time as a separate field. If both time and _time are the same fields, then it should not be a problem using either. But if they are different fields, and you want to use _time, then you can replace _time with time in the values function.

---
If you find the answer helpful, an upvote/karma is appreciated

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @EvansB,

let me understand: do you want to use _time for grouping events or as a field to display?

in the first case you could use the hint of @tshah-splunk , but is useful to add a bin command before the stats to group results, otherwise you'll have too many results:

| bin _time span=1d
| stats values(*) as * by _time 

if instead you need to display _time as a field, you can put it in the stats options, using some function:

• values(to have all the distinct values of _time,
  • earliest to have the first value,
  • latest to have the latest value.

In both situations, you have also, at the end, to convert _time from epochtime to human readable format using strftime.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...