Splunk Search

How can I change human to epoch time

nagarjuna280
Communicator

| gentimes start=-1 | eval YourDate="3:21:34 AM 12/8/2014" | table YourDate
| eval epoch1=strptime(YourDate,"%H:%M:%S %p %m/%d/%Y")
| convert timeformat="%H:%M:%S %p %m/%d/%Y" mktime(YourDate) as epoch2

I got the same result for Both AM AND PM,

I changed AM to PM --epoch results is 1418037694.000000 and is same for PM

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

acharlieh
Influencer

Because %H is the hour on a 24-hour clock... you need to use %I for the hour on a 12-hour clock. See the docs: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.6.2/SearchReference/Commontimeformatvariables

Also an updated search to show the difference:

| makeresults count=2 | streamstats count | eval YourDate=if(count=1,"3:21:34 AM 12/8/2014","3:21:34 PM 12/8/2014") | table YourDate 
| eval epoch1h=strptime(YourDate,"%H:%M:%S %p %m/%d/%Y") | convert timeformat="%H:%M:%S %p %m/%d/%Y" mktime(YourDate) as epoch2h 
| eval epoch1i=strptime(YourDate,"%I:%M:%S %p %m/%d/%Y") |  convert timeformat="%U:%M:%S %p %m/%d/%Y" mktime(YourDate) as epoch2i

View solution in original post

acharlieh
Influencer

Because %H is the hour on a 24-hour clock... you need to use %I for the hour on a 12-hour clock. See the docs: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.6.2/SearchReference/Commontimeformatvariables

Also an updated search to show the difference:

| makeresults count=2 | streamstats count | eval YourDate=if(count=1,"3:21:34 AM 12/8/2014","3:21:34 PM 12/8/2014") | table YourDate 
| eval epoch1h=strptime(YourDate,"%H:%M:%S %p %m/%d/%Y") | convert timeformat="%H:%M:%S %p %m/%d/%Y" mktime(YourDate) as epoch2h 
| eval epoch1i=strptime(YourDate,"%I:%M:%S %p %m/%d/%Y") |  convert timeformat="%U:%M:%S %p %m/%d/%Y" mktime(YourDate) as epoch2i
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...