Splunk Search

Host field without wildcards returns no results

cdoebert
Path Finder

If I run a search that says * host=*somehost*, I get results back. If I remove the wildcards around the host field and only run index=blah host=somehost, then nothing is returned.

The host field is just "somehost" (without quotes). If I go to the selected fields sidebar and select "somehost" out of the values of host, it generates the search * host=*somehost* host="somehost" and returns no results. Same if I select the "somehost" value out of an event returned from the wildcard search and generate a new search from that.

What would cause Splunk to require that there are wildcards around this hostname?

0 Karma

hok2010

it seems like your host is not in the blah index,

make sure the host resides in right index

try search:
index=* host=somehost

0 Karma

cdoebert
Path Finder

That returns no results.

Any search where the host field for this particular host does not have wildcards around it returns no results.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...