Splunk Search

Hide custom named column from SimpleResultsTable

stefano_guidoba
Communicator

Hi,

we're trying to use a little piece of JavaScript (put in application.js) to perform column hiding for SimpleResultsTable in a dashboard.
Here's the code:

if(Splunk.Module.GraphicResultsTable) {
var orig = Splunk.Module.GraphicResultsTable.prototype.onResultsRendered;
Splunk.Module.GraphicResultsTable.prototype.onResultsRendered = function() {
    var elements = [];
    orig.call(this);
    $('th', this.container).each(function(i, el) {
        if(/^.*_hide\s*$/.test($(el).text())) {
            elements.push($(el).text());
            $(el).hide();
        }
    });

for(n = 0; n < elements.length; n++) {
        $("td[field|='" + elements[n] + "']", this.container).hide();
    }

}

}

As you can see, we're trying to tell Splunk, when building HTML table, to hide column headers and cells which are named _hide. With this piece of code everything works fine for a single column. When trying to put 2 columns in our SimpleResultsTable, the thing happening is that all "th" involved are correctly hidden, while only the first "td" is hidden, leaving the second perfectly visible (see the image attached, where we would want the column with "B24A" and "B24H" hidden)
HTML wrong

I've checked the HTML/CSS generated, and have seen that for the column not hidden there's not the same CSS class as for the hidden one, but I have no idea how to change my JS to fix this (not a big expert of JS 😞 ).

Any suggestion would be very helpful!

P.S.1: I took JS template code from Ziegfried in this answer Remove _raw field from table view

P.S.2: as one might notice, my JS refers to a GraphicResultsTable, which is a custom module made by a colleague for custom SimpleResultsTable where it's possible to add custom CSS classes via Splunk

Tags (3)
1 Solution

stefano_guidoba
Communicator

Hey,

found the solution, provided below:

var elements = [];
    orig.call(this);
            $(el).hide();
        }
    });

$("td[field|=" + elements[n].trim() + "]", this.container).hide();
    }

}

}

It should also work with SimpleResultsTable.
Enjoy!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

stefano_guidoba
Communicator

Hey,

found the solution, provided below:

var elements = [];
    orig.call(this);
            $(el).hide();
        }
    });

$("td[field|=" + elements[n].trim() + "]", this.container).hide();
    }

}

}

It should also work with SimpleResultsTable.
Enjoy!

0 Karma

stefano_guidoba
Communicator

Hi Sideview,

the problem is we developed a custom SimpleResultsTable to be able to add CSS classes to specific columns (as you can see, we have "semaphores" images in the "status" column).
Would your table module also be able to do so?

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You should take a look at the Table module in Sideview Utils 2.X. The Table module is very widely used, and it has a "hiddenFields" param. When you specify fields in that param, they will not be visible in the rendered Table, but they will be available for all drilldown searches and drilldown logic. http://sideviewapps.com/apps/sideview-utils

0 Karma

stefano_guidoba
Communicator

But I do want to have it in the results set, because I'm using it for dashboard drilldown 🙂 My only concern is to not show it.

0 Karma

linu1988
Champion

I am not familiar with java script programming as well. But if you hide the filed doesn't mean the field is not there is the resultset, hence relevant column values shows up!! But I may sound stupid for my analysis.

0 Karma

stefano_guidoba
Communicator

Hi Linu,
as you can see headers are correctly hidden (I put two columns named interface_hide and procedure_hide, and they are not shown). The problem is the cells of procedure_hide column are not hidden (second column).
I'm not using a "for" for headers because it uses a foreach 🙂

0 Karma

linu1988
Champion

I think the first block missed the for loop, so only one header is getting hidden.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...