Splunk Search

Help with distributed search and multi-site index clustering

a212830
Champion

Hi,

I've setup a dev env with 3 sites. I also have a SHC configured, and need to setup distributed search, so the SH read from the IDX.

Looking at this page - http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.3.3/DistSearch/SHCandindexercluster - I see the command, but I'm not quite certain on the "site0" part. My sites are site1, site2, site3. The CM is in site1.

So my question is what value should I pass for a site in the cluster-config command.

0 Karma

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The site0 configuration has to do with site affinity in the cluster. When you dont want to bind a SH specifically to a site, it should be site0.

splunk edit cluster-config -mode searchhead -site site0 

This enables it to search across the clusters it is a member of. Note that if this is part of multiple clusters, you'll need to apply that configuration to each cluster its part of.

Conversely, if you wanted to have a SH member, only search specific sites in a cluster, you could adjust that to match siteN.

0 Karma

a212830
Champion

And if I'm not using site affinity?

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

@esix is referring to setting up with no site affinity (site0). See this section: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/DistSearch/DeploymultisiteSHC#Integrate_a_search_...

So in your scenario, you'd leave the CM in site1 and set the search heads all to site0

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...