Splunk Search

Help with creating an index search based on the _time value (beginner)

Bassik
Path Finder

Beginner here, I'm trying to run a search on unique logins for a web-based application. The current logs, however, do not indicate the information I need to be able to count which app the user logged into. 

It may be easier to illustrate the search:

Annotation 2020-07-09 120311.png

What I am trying to archive is on the _time value all those events (hidden) are triggered at the exact same time. I want to use that value as a unique ID to evaluate all the events that happened at that time as a group. 

The information I require is from a_app

Could some explain to me a way to archive this?

I guess in summary if the UserAuthicationQuery had an actual log that identified what the user was logging into it would then work but the a_app for this process is done in a central location and not associated with the actual app the user is entering.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

Bassik
Path Finder

As mentioned this is the closest I have:

Bassik_0-1594698391536.png

But it includes every event at those timestamps. I only want the timestamp in which a_action = UserAuthenticationQuery. if I include UserAuthenticationQuery  in search then it drops off all events. I don't know why it still doesn't append the multiple app values under appList field?

0 Karma

renjith_nair
Legend

ahh, why do you use stats in between ? It removes the UserAuthenticationQuery field from the results.

---
What goes around comes around. If it helps, hit it with Karma 🙂
0 Karma

Bassik
Path Finder

@renjith_nair 

So I should remove it? If I do, it doesn't change anything I still get 2,730 results. I grabbed this from you on the first page you mentioned:

@Bassik,

As you said , it might not be accurate. However, if you want to get the app list for a user with time as a common factor (seconds' precision) , try this

"your search"
|eval timeIdentifier=strftime(_time,"%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M-%S")
|stats values(a_app)  as appList by timeIdentifier,cs_username

appList should have the list of apps. We converted time to string just to make sure that we take until seconds precision. You may user _time directly as well

0 Karma

renjith_nair
Legend

@Bassik,

that was for that specific solution.

Try the latest search please without the stats. Also have a look at the search's construction to understand how it works. That will help you to troubleshoot

---
0 Karma

Bassik
Path Finder

@renjith_nair 

Thanks again, yes I did remove it as mentioned. It didn't resolve anything other then list all events and not in a table format. 

I have looked many times at the search construction and tried many things... I get what I want but do not understand the logic on how to link the two time events to no another.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

renjith_nair
Legend

post your current search and sample events

---
0 Karma

Bassik
Path Finder

@renjith_nair 

Hi sorry for the delay. I have worked out an alternative to my search. I have another question. Is there a way to dedup a field by another event?

I seem to being getting my results but when I dedup username, it just randomly selects an event and lists that in my stats. I want to only dedup the username based on UserAuthenticationQuery event?

Thanks

0 Karma

Bassik
Path Finder

As mentioned this is the closest I have:

Bassik_0-1594698391536.png

But it includes every event at those timestamps. I only want the timestamp in which a_action = UserAuthenticationQuery. if I include UserAuthenticationQuery  in search then it drops off all events. I don't know why it still doesn't append the multiple app values under appList field?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...