Splunk Search

Help with calculating IIS access logs time spent on site by ip

dondky
Path Finder

Hi guys, I'm working on calculating the average time spent by a user on a internal iis site in our environment.

I came up with the following search which I think might provide us with this info:

index=iis host=exampleserver* cs_uri_stem="/care/*" | stats earliest(_time) as start latest(_time) as stop by src | eval difference=stop-start | eval start=strftime(start,"%m/%d/%Y:%H:%M:%S") | eval stop=strftime(stop,"%m/%d/%Y:%H:%M:%S") | eval difference=strftime(difference,"%m/%d/%Y:%H:%M:%S")

But I'm still unsure if this is the best approach. The goal would be to take the "difference" value and then do an average upon that to give us how long the user spent on the site. Is this the best approach or even close to what I think I'm doing?

Thanks

Tags (3)

dolivasoh
Contributor

You could do a transaction by the ip or a session/cookie id if you have it. Transaction will give you the duration of a group of events tied by your field of choice.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.1/SearchReference/transaction

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...