Splunk Search

Help with Regex - Removing Text from Field

chrisschum
Path Finder

I have a field where results are 'some letter & number combination of 3 or 4 characters' that includes txt on the end I want to remove.

The text is made up of APSA< /ParticipantObjectQuery>< /ParticipantObjectIdentification>< /AuditMessage>".

So, how do I get rid of everything after the '3 or 4 character' value, which in this case is 'APSA'?

Thanks!

0 Karma
1 Solution

wenthold
Communicator

Try this:

| rex field=LOC "^(?<yourValue>[\w]{3,4})"

As long as the 3- to 4- character value is at the beginning of the line this should work.

View solution in original post

wenthold
Communicator

Try this:

| rex field=LOC "^(?<yourValue>[\w]{3,4})"

As long as the 3- to 4- character value is at the beginning of the line this should work.

chrisschum
Path Finder

That worked! Thanks!

0 Karma

kartm2020
Communicator

Hi,
As per your comment, If the character is alphanumeric value. Below regex will help you extract.

| rex field=_raw "(?P[A-Z0-9]{4})"

Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

You can test it : https://regex101.com/r/j7u1vF/1
You can change the value inside parenthesis as per your requirement( I pretend it is 4 character value)

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi chrisschum,
I could be more precise if you could share an example of your values and of the values to extract.
Anyway, if you field is called APSA, you want to extract ParticipantObjectQuery, ParticipantObjectIdentification and AuditMessage fields and an example is abc1 de2 fgh3.txt, you could use something like this:

| rex field=APSA "^(?<ParticipantObjectQuery>[^ ]*)\s+(?<ParticipantObjectIdentification>[^ ]*)\s+(?<AuditMessage>[^\.]*)"

You can test it at https://regex101.com/r/j7u1vF/1

Ciao.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

chrisschum
Path Finder

Thanks Giuseppe!

I'm actually wanting to get rid of everything after the APSA (or any other 3 to 4 alphanumeric value). The field is actually already extracted as LOC.

So what I get when I run a search is LOC= "3 or 4 character alphanumeric value"< /ParticipantObjectQuery>< /ParticipantObjectIdentification>< /AuditMessage>

What I want the results to be is LOC="3 or 4 character alphanumeric value"

Thanks!

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Sorry I don'r understand: could you share an example of your data and the result you want?
Ciao.
Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...