Splunk Search

Help with EVAL statement

efelder0
Communicator

I am extracting a field called "Severity" out of an XML data feed. and the values that are returned are severity 1, severity 2, severity 3, severity 4. I would like to re-assign the values to now say Low (instead of severity 1), Medium (instead of severity 2), High (instead of severity 3), Critical (instead of severity 4).

I am certain than an EVAL statement would work here, but not sure what the syntax is.

Any suggestions?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

bojanz
Communicator

This will work:

<your search> | eval Severity_string = case(Severity == 1, "Low", Severity == 2, "Medium", Severity == 3, "High", Severity == 4, "Critical")

Then just use Severity_string in table or whatever you use to display the results.

View solution in original post

bojanz
Communicator

This will work:

<your search> | eval Severity_string = case(Severity == 1, "Low", Severity == 2, "Medium", Severity == 3, "High", Severity == 4, "Critical")

Then just use Severity_string in table or whatever you use to display the results.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...