Splunk Search

Help with Chart overlay over Bar chart

newbie2tech
Communicator

Hi All,

Need help in building below visualization having overlay.

x-axis - represents hour [24 hour format]
y-axis -shows the distinct count
single hour should be able to show the counts for different dates.
overlay should show the average count

I have lookup which has average, i am willing to use this lookup.

Below is my xyseries search,i am unable to get the overlay either with xyseries or stats command. i am unable to get "AvgUserCount" field values in overlay field name

index=abc | eval tmfrmt_date=strftime(_time,"%Y-%m-%d") | eval tmfrmt_hour=strftime(_time,"%H") | eval tmfrmt_wkday=strftime(_time,"%a") | stats dc(id) AS Unique_Users by tmfrmt_hour tmfrmt_date tmfrmt_wkday |search NOT(tmfrmt_wkday="sat") NOT(tmfrmt_wkday="sun") | table Unique_Users tmfrmt_date tmfrmt_hour | lookup avg.csv Hour as tmfrmt_hour OUTPUT AvgUserCount | table tmfrmt_hour Unique_Users tmfrmt_date AvgUserCount | xyseries tmfrmt_hour tmfrmt_date Unique_Users AvgUserCount

avg lookup has values as below[ values are cooked up]

Hour,AvgUserCount

![00,230
.23,270][1]

Any suggestions on how to get this done.

Thank you in advance.

Splunk version 6.5.2

0 Karma

Sukisen1981
Champion

Hi,

Sorry i misunderstood your requirement - Anyway here's a sample code that I tried on internal splunk audit index, which you can also try as the audit index is available by default. A bit on mapping , I have taken the field 'user' for unique user , which is 'ip' in your case, rest all stays the same.
Now, you are using a lookup to calculate the hourly averages, for example,say for hour 10
if you have 3 days as columns something like

hour   day 1 day 2 day 3
10       2        3          4

You expect the average as 3 , which should also be available as an overlay field and that is probably why you are using a csv look up. Let splunk calculate this average for you..try

index="_audit" | eval tmfrmt_date=strftime(_time,"%Y-%m-%d") | eval tmfrmt_hour=strftime(_time,"%H") | eval tmfrmt_wkday=strftime(_time,"%a") | stats dc(user) AS Unique_Users by tmfrmt_hour tmfrmt_date tmfrmt_wkday |search NOT(tmfrmt_wkday="sat") NOT(tmfrmt_wkday="sun")| eventstats dc(tmfrmt_date) as col  | xyseries tmfrmt_hour tmfrmt_date Unique_Users| addtotals  | appendcols[search index="_audit" | eval tmfrmt_date=strftime(_time,"%Y-%m-%d") | eval tmfrmt_hour=strftime(_time,"%H") | eval tmfrmt_wkday=strftime(_time,"%a") | stats dc(user) AS Unique_Users by tmfrmt_hour tmfrmt_date tmfrmt_wkday |search NOT(tmfrmt_wkday="sat") NOT(tmfrmt_wkday="sun")| eventstats dc(tmfrmt_date) as col   |table col]| where isnotnull(tmfrmt_hour)| eval avg=(Total-tmfrmt_hour)/col | fields - col,Total

Mapping
id - user
AvgUserCount - avg

Now, when you go to the visualization you can select avg as an overlay. If possible avoid using a lookup csv, merely to calculate the average over hours over days, let splunk calculate it real time

0 Karma

newbie2tech
Communicator

i am willing to follow any other approach if needed to achieve this.

0 Karma

Sukisen1981
Champion

hmm what if you use |trendline sma2(Unique_Users) as AvgUserCount
Then try adding the trendline field - AvgUserCount as an overlay?

0 Karma

newbie2tech
Communicator

thanks for the response. I need the average of the hour across the time range the trendline is giving me average for the specific hour+date combination , yes the field is listed in overlay option but the dates spread out for the hour is going off i.e. I no longer see the dates with in the hour.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...