Splunk Search

Help grouping results best command to use

ronaldsc

I'm pretty new to Splunk and trying to wrap my head around how to pull data out of Splunk and display it. I have a search which pulls out all the correct events. Now, I am trying to figure out how to display/group the results so it makes sense and is easy to go through.

Trying to have the output display something like what is shown below:

ID       ID_Number         UserName      Status
  00987      98377           username   
             087442          username   
             087442          username
                             username      deleted
  00990      077841          username   
             077841          username   
             077841          username
                             username      deleted

When I group by ID then I only 1 result. If I try to group by ID_Number then the results look close to the above but they aren't broken down/arranged by each unique ID. I like to have all the results for the ID together and only display that ID once but at the same time show all the results for the remaining fields.

Here is what I tried which gets me close but doesn't group by ID

searchHere | stats values(username), values(status) by id_number

When I try to do it by ID it's when I only get 1 result

searchHere | stats values(id_number), values(username), values(status) by id
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

javiergn
Super Champion

Try:

searchHere | stats list(ID_Number) as ID_Number, list(UserName) as UserName by ID, Status

Or:

searchHere | stats list(ID_Number) as ID_Number, list(UserName) as UserName, list(Status) as Status by ID

Depending on whether you want to group by status or simply display the different values for it.
If you wanted only the distinct values status can have you can use values() instead of list() in the second query.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

ronaldsc

Thanks, the second one did the trick.

0 Karma

jplumsdaine22
Influencer

Note that the field names are case sensitive - have you tried:

searchHere | stats values(UserName) values(Status) by ID_Number
0 Karma

javiergn
Super Champion

Try:

searchHere | stats list(ID_Number) as ID_Number, list(UserName) as UserName by ID, Status

Or:

searchHere | stats list(ID_Number) as ID_Number, list(UserName) as UserName, list(Status) as Status by ID

Depending on whether you want to group by status or simply display the different values for it.
If you wanted only the distinct values status can have you can use values() instead of list() in the second query.

Hope that helps.

0 Karma

vasanthmss
Motivator

Wats the expected format

V
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...