Splunk Search

Help creating multiple SUMs within a field based on the value of another field

raysonjoberts
Explorer

I am using 2 lookup tables to correlate and combine data to create a new .csv. In this process, I have a field that has numerical values in it that i want to sum based on the values of another field.  The raw data looks something like this:

stage,resource,hours
x,rick,1
x,rick,10
x,dave,1
y,rick,5
y,dave,3
y,dave,8

I want the output to look like:
x,rick,11
x,dave,1
y,rick,5
y,dave,11

Below is the search I have, it almost works but it does not sum the totals for rick and dave individually, it sums them all, so the output looks like:

x,rick,12
x,dave,12
y,rick,16
y,dave,16

|inputlookup mod_master
|lookup lookuptable1 Engagement OUTPUTNEW ResourceLastName,RegularHours
| eval Resource=mvdedup(ResourceLastName)
| mvexpand Resource
| eval Hours=sum(RegularHours)
| fillnull value=0 Hours
| table Stage,Resource,Hours

How can i change the logic in this search so I get the correct individual sums for Rick and Dave and not the combined total for each?

Thank you in advance!

Labels (2)
0 Karma

tshah-splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hey @raysonjoberts,

Can you try replacing the eval function with the below line in the query please?

| stats sum(hours) as hours by stage resource

This will do a total of hours and group it w.r.t resource and the stage.

---
If you find the answer helpful, an upvote/karma is appreciated
0 Karma

raysonjoberts
Explorer

Thanks @tshah-splunk , but I am not only trying to sum(Hours) by stage,resource.

I am creating a table which has multiple fields in it and within that table, I am trying to sum(hours) by stage,resource. I simplified my search in my original question but the table includes multiple fields from each of the lookups I reference in the search. In other words, I am not looking to just add the hours, I want to represent the sum of those hours within a new table.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Either you're trying to do something very confusing 😄 or you can just use eventstats instead of stats to get your summarized values along the original data so you can process it further.

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you share your data - the stats command given by @tshah-splunk would work on what you describe as your raw data, so your data is different - can you show what the data looks like after this

|inputlookup mod_master
|lookup lookuptable1 Engagement OUTPUTNEW ResourceLastName,RegularHours
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...