Splunk Search

Grouping using regex, then do stats

splunknewbieste

Assume each event includes 2 fields: path and duration among other fields.
Path can have values: (i) type1 = /x/y/, (ii) type2 = x/y/\d+ , eg. /x/y/1234, (iii) type3= z/t/, (iv) anything else.
How can I calculate the avg(duration) per type of path, only consider type1, type2, and type3, the rest is not interested?

| spath path | .... some how group the paths into different groups using regex ... | stats avg(duration) by path

I could do

... | regex path="/x/y(/\d+)?|/z/t/" | stats avg(duration) by path

but the problem is that /x/y/1234 will be treated differently from /x/y/2345 while I want to group all of them into type2.

0 Karma
1 Solution

clorne
Communicator

Hello,
I would do something like that:
- creation of a temporary variable type!path which takes different value according to the value of Path

eval type_path = case(match(Path, "\/x\/y\/"), path_type1, match(Path,"\/x\/y\/\d+"), path_type2, match(Path,"\/z\/t\/"), path_type3)| stats avg(duration) by type_path

regards

View solution in original post

clorne
Communicator

Hello,
I would do something like that:
- creation of a temporary variable type!path which takes different value according to the value of Path

eval type_path = case(match(Path, "\/x\/y\/"), path_type1, match(Path,"\/x\/y\/\d+"), path_type2, match(Path,"\/z\/t\/"), path_type3)| stats avg(duration) by type_path

regards

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Above can be applied after your regex filter.

0 Karma

splunknewbieste

Yes, I think that works. Thanks @clorne.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...