Splunk Search

Group Events with pattern

Thulasinathan_M
Contributor

Hi Splunk Experts,
I've been trying to group "WARN" logs, but they have a pattern (Dynamic/ Argument values) in them. I'm aware of rex, but I don't want to manually rex for 1000s of such different events. I've even tried cluster, but that doesn't suits well my usecase. Any assistance would be much appreciated.!! Thanks in advance.

2024-08-31 12:34:56 WARN  ConfigurationLoader - Deprecated configuration detected in path /xx/yy/zz. Please update your settings to use the latest configuration options.
2024-08-31 12:34:56 WARN  ConfigurationLoader - Deprecated configuration detected in path /aa/dd/jkl. Please update your settings to use the latest configuration options.
2024-08-31 14:52:34 WARN  QueryExecutor - Query execution time exceeded the threshold: 12.3 seconds. Query: SELECT * FROM users WHERE last_login > '2024-01-01'.
2024-08-31 14:52:34 WARN  QueryExecutor - Query execution time exceeded the threshold: 21.9 seconds. Query: SELECT * FROM contacts WHERE contact_id > '252’.
2024-08-31 14:52:34 WARN  QueryExecutor - Query execution time exceeded the threshold: 9.5 seconds. Query: SELECT * FROM users WHERE user_id = '123024001'.
2024-08-31 13:45:10 WARN  MemoryMonitor - High memory usage detected: 85% of allocated memory is in use. Consider increasing the available memory.
2024-08-31 13:45:10 WARN  MemoryMonitor - High memory usage detected: 58% of allocated memory is in use. Consider increasing the available memory.
2024-08-31 14:52:34 WARN  QueryExecutor - Query execution time exceeded the threshold: 32.3 seconds. Query: SELECT * FROM users WHERE last_login > '2024-01-01'.

I wish to group them something like below to group similar events!!

WARN  ConfigurationLoader Deprecated configuration detected in path. Please update your settings to use the latest configuration options

WARN  QueryExecutor Query execution time exceeded the threshold: . Query:

WARN  MemoryMonitor High memory usage detected: of allocated memory is in use. Consider increasing the available memory.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you want Splunk to "guess", you might look at MLTK.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have you tried the "Patterns" tab?  That can show patterns in your results if you have enough events for Splunk to analyze.

If you have a finite set of events then you may be able to group them using a case function and the stats command.

| eval warn = case(match(_raw, "ConfigurationLoader - Deprecated configuration detected in path .*?. Please update your settings to use the latest configuration options.", "ConfigurationLoader - Deprecated configuration detected in path. Please update your settings to use the latest configuration options",
    match(_raw, "QueryExecutor - Query execution time exceeded the threshold .*", "QueryExecutor - Query execution time exceeded the threshold.  Query:",
    match(_raw, "MemoryMonitor - High memory usage detected: .*? of allocated memory is in use. Consider increasing the available memory.", "MemoryMonitor - High memory usage detected: of allocated memory is in use. Consider increasing the available memory.",
    1==1, _raw)
| stats count by warn

Of course, this requires you to know which warnings are of interest and becomes impractical when there is a large number of them.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Monitoring Postgres with OpenTelemetry

Behind every business-critical application, you’ll find databases. These behind-the-scenes stores power ...

Mastering Synthetic Browser Testing: Pro Tips to Keep Your Web App Running Smoothly

To start, if you're new to synthetic monitoring, I recommend exploring this synthetic monitoring overview. In ...

Splunk Edge Processor | Popular Use Cases to Get Started with Edge Processor

Splunk Edge Processor offers more efficient, flexible data transformation – helping you reduce noise, control ...