Splunk Search

Getting empty values when using rex to get a string

Rodrigo_Larios
Explorer

Hi guys, 

This is one example of my data:

Optional("{\"operationName\":\"createCart\",\"variables\":{\"customerId\":\"34234323\",\"operationalModel\":\"PICK_AND_COLLECT\",\"storeId\":\"596\"}}")

Optional("{\"operationName\":\"getOrdersByCustomer\",\"variables\":{\"pagination\":{\"currentPage\":1,\"pageSize\":100}}}")

Basically i want to retrieve all values such as: operationName\":\"createCart\"

As context, the field extraData.REQUEST_BODY should be a JSON, but due to a error code (can´t release now to prod), this became a malformed JSON, hence a simple string, so i'm trying to get all operationName values

This is my splunk query

index="mint" apiKey=*** | search event_name=*** extraData.ENDPOINT=*** | rex field='extraData.REQUEST_BODY' "(?<opName>operationName\\\"\:\\\"\w+\\\")" | table opName

i have verified the Regex, and i have removed single quotes from 'extraData.REQUEST_BODY', i have tried to change to double quotes, etc.

Could you please help me?

Thank you

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Rodrigo_Larios
Explorer

After some research i found there is a tricky thing with slashes, it worked for me:

index="mint" apiKey=*** | search event_name=*** extraData.ENDPOINT=***  | eval cleanedJson=substr('extraData.REQUEST_BODY',11) | eval slashCleanJson = replace(cleanedJson,"\\\\","") | rex field=slashCleanJson "(?\"operationName\"\:\"\w+\")" | table opName,slashCleanJson,cleanedJson

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Rodrigo_Larios
Explorer

After some research i found there is a tricky thing with slashes, it worked for me:

index="mint" apiKey=*** | search event_name=*** extraData.ENDPOINT=***  | eval cleanedJson=substr('extraData.REQUEST_BODY',11) | eval slashCleanJson = replace(cleanedJson,"\\\\","") | rex field=slashCleanJson "(?\"operationName\"\:\"\w+\")" | table opName,slashCleanJson,cleanedJson

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...