Splunk Search

Getting Data into Splunk

rockb
Explorer

I just installed splunk and imported my license.

I have a series of Windows event viewer files that have been exported that I want to import.  

I have tried the following:

1. Settings --> Add Data
  2. Upload Files From My computer
  3. Select the file.  It reads the file.
  4. Next
  5. Select Preprocess-winevt
  6. Next
  7. Review
  8. Submit
  9. Start Searching

No events are shown.  

What am I doing wrong?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

rockb
Explorer

I figured it out.  After the process is complete the Search window has host="xxxx" and sourcetype="preprocess-winevt".

If I delete host="xxxx" and sourcetype="preprocess-winevt". events are shown.  

0 Karma

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@rockb 

I hope checked in all time range and playing with search also.

Just guessing the reason and I doubt on retention period of Index. Just check the possible _time of indexed event and index retention period. 

0 Karma

rockb
Explorer

kamlesh,

I think you are saying to make sure that I am specifying to show all events not just events in a specific time period.  I did not select any time period and if I understand the interface correctly it is saying it sees no events prior to today at 10:52  There are 8198 events listed when I open the evtx file in Windows event viewer.

rockb_0-1620748411960.png

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...