Splunk Search

Get the timestamp of stats latest(field)

artrune
Path Finder

I'm currently getting the latest value of a field like: | stats latest("field").
However It only shows the column with the value and it doesn't show the column with the timestamp.
If i add latest("_time" ) that wont work if there are other newer entries that don't include the field I'm aiming for.
How can I retrieve the latest value of a field with its timestamp?

0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You can do this:

... | stats max(_time) AS _time BY field | sort 0 - _time | head 1

View solution in original post

0 Karma

artrune
Path Finder

alt textThis is what i currently have and want to add the timestamp column

0 Karma

artrune
Path Finder

alt text

Thanks, but it comes with alot of dates and values and not the latest value for the field

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You can do this:

... | stats max(_time) AS _time BY field | sort 0 - _time | head 1
0 Karma

artrune
Path Finder

Thanks for your reply, I tried that but it didnt return anything.

0 Karma

artrune
Path Finder

Nevermind, this did work but i h ad to put my field inside double quotes. Thanks

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Field names with spaces are evil.

0 Karma

artrune
Path Finder

Hmm its funny, because it worked on the search (inside splunk) but when calling through the api im not getting any response. With the previous query i would get response on the API.
Do you have any idea?

0 Karma

artrune
Path Finder

Nevermind haha i was missing the double quotes inside my code. Just had to escape them.
Thanks for the help

0 Karma

Sukisen1981
Champion
|  stats latest(fieldname) by _time
| reverse

???

0 Karma

artrune
Path Finder

Thanks for your reply aswell, When trying this it returns a lot of time stamps and and values.
I want only the latest value for my field with its timestamp

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...