Splunk Search

Get Log size

jw44250

I want to get the log size in MB and GB. I have used this command
index=index1 |eval raw_len=(len(_raw)/1028) | stats sum(raw_len) by source

0 Karma

drnoah

If you do /1024/1024/1024 you will go to 0 for small logs and it wont work. Just reuse the previously calculated value. then you save cycles and data

0 Karma

acharlieh
Influencer

Without much context as to why, using len(_raw) is an ok approximation of the size of a log... however you should know that len does not actually count bytes but rather it counts characters. If knowing bytes is crucial, I would refer you to looking at the License Usage Report View or actually just running ls -l or similar utilities on the box where the log comes from.

To see this in action.... I made two files, one that contained words and the other كلمات I then put both in a directory and indexed them (taking good advantage of my dev-test license). Using len() both come out to 5, but checking the index usage data, I can see that words equals 5 bytes but كلمات is 10 bytes. (In this case, each character, encoded UTF-8 is 2 bytes wide).

Now most system level logs, that you'd aggregate in Splunk tend to be US-ASCII so each character (UTF-8) happens to be 1 byte, but this might not be universally the case.

EDIT: A bit more of a rabbit hole, but I had one file containing كلمات encoded UTF-8 (10 bytes long), and another encoded ISO8859-6 (5 byte long file on disk). Ingesting the 8859-6 file using a sourcetype that specifies the encoding as such (so the text is readable in Splunk), the license impact is still 10 bytes, because translation to UTF-8 happens before counting license.

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

That should be OK, what's the problem? You just need to do more /1028.

0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion

check this out:
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/0F8C8B70234EBE308625708B00424DAD
here's a search:

index=alloyaudit_core
|eval raw_len=len(_raw)
| eval raw_len_kb = raw_len/1024
| eval raw_len_mb = raw_len/1024/1024
| eval raw_len_gb = raw_len/1024/1024/1024
| stats sum(raw_len) as Bytes sum(raw_len_kb) as KB sum(raw_len_mb) as MB sum(raw_len_gb) as GB by source

hope it helps

sphiwee
Contributor

it worked

0 Karma

jw44250

Thanks for your answer...let me try it .
P

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...