mah
Builder

Hi, 

I have a table like that :

teststate_Astate_Bstate_C
1okko- WARNko - ERROR
2ko- WARNokok
3okokok

I would like to create a field "global_state" with "done" value if all fields state_* value are "OK" , if not write "issue":

teststate_Astate_Bstate_Cglobal_state
1okko- WARNko - ERRORissue
2ko- WARNokokissue
3okokokdone

I tried this foreach but not working :

| foreach state_*  [ eval global_state= if(<<FIELD>>=="ko- WARN" OR <<FIELD>>=="ko - ERROR", "issue", "done") ]

The second condition in the if is not applied. 

Can you help me please?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Your issue is that you evaluate the field with each foreach call (as per the name).

So effectively you're getting only the final value. In the first row you're gonna get "issue" properly as the result because you have a "not OK" value in the last field but in the second row the global_state gets evaluated to "issue" for state_A but is immediately overwritten with "done" from state_B and then from state_C.

In such case you'd rather want to define an initial value beforehand  and then overwrite it if there is a need to do so. Like

<your search>
| eval global_state="done"
| foreach state_*
[ eval global_state=if(<<FIELD>>!="ok","issue",global_state) ]

This way you set your global_state initially to "done" and then if you encounter any value other than "ok" in any of the state_* fields, it's getting overwritten to "issue".

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It looks like global_state will be set based only on the last field evaluated.  See if this variation helps.

| eval ok_count = 0
| foreach state_*  [ eval ok_count = ok_count + case(<<FIELD>>=="ko-WARN", 0, <<FIELD>>=="ko-ERROR", 0, 1==1, 1) ]
| eval global_state = if(ok_count==3, "done", "issue")

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

mah
Builder

Hi @richgalloway 

Your example did not work, it gave me same issue than my search.

0 Karma

johnhuang
Motivator

Here are 2 ways to skin this cat.

| eval combined_state=TRIM(state_A)."-".TRIM(state_B)."-".TRIM(state_C)
| eval global_state=IF(combined_state="ok-ok-ok", "done", "issue")

| foreach state_* [| eval combined_state=MVAPPEND(combined_state, TRIM(<<FIELD>>))]
| eval combined_state=MVDEDUP(combined_state)
| eval global_state=IF(MVCOUNT(combined_state)==1 AND combined_state="ok", "done", "issue")
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...