Splunk Search

Finding first occurrence of matching beginning anchor in field extraction.

Cuyose
Builder

I need to create a regex field extraction to deal with odd events where the same string exists multiple times before my end anchor after same begin anchors.

rough example:

<ExternalErrorDescription>A bunch of random stuff</ExternalErrorDescription><ExternalErrorDescription>more stuff</ExternalErrorDescription><ExternalErrorDescription>WHAT I WANT TO EXTRACT &#xD;

The text between the last <ExternalErrorDescription> and is what I want to extract. The problem is its always grabbing everything as it matches the first <ExternalErrorDescription> up to my end anchor. I can't figure out the syntax to match the last occurance of the beginning string anchor and end anchor.

This is what I have currently

(?i)ExternalErrorDescription>(?P<ExternalErrorDescription>.*?)\&\#xD;
0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Try this:

.*ExternalErrorDescription>(?<ExternalErrorDescription>.*?)\&\#xD;

View solution in original post

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Try this:

Cuyose
Builder

unfortunately this is still matching everything after the first match of

ExternalErrorDescription>

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

I tested it on your data and it works; try again:

... | rex  ".*ExternalErrorDescription>(?<ExternalErrorDescription>.*)\&\#xD;" | fields ExternalErrorDescription
0 Karma

Cuyose
Builder

Interesting, so that does work inline with the search, but I am trying to create a field extraction in settings for this, and it wont work when set the exact same way there. any ideas on how to make that work as a field extraction?

(?i).*ExternalErrorDescription>(?<ExternalErrorDescription>.*)\&\#xD;
0 Karma

Cuyose
Builder

I got this working, for some reason I had to add a ? in my declaration. The below now works automatically in field extractions.

(?i).*<ns1:ExternalErrorDescription>(?<ExternalErrorDescription>.*?)\&\#xD;

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Don't forget to "Accept" the answer.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...