Splunk Search

Find the string and the number of occurences

gowthamjs

Hi,

I have a log file that has a set of information about some users. Each of the users have an id and the same is logged to the file when they login to the application. I am trying to figure the best way to find the number of visits made by users everyday. Please let me know, if you have any thoughts on the same. Thanks!

0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

I think you want something like this

Suppose you have a field called id which is having all the users list. Also having the unique_keyword when they login to the application.
In that case if you want the number of number of occurrences for the particular id everyday then you can try something like this

index=<your_index> | timechart span=1d count by id

If id field is not extracted then you have to write regex for it.

Let me know if this helps!

0 Karma

gowthamjs

Hi,

In my case, only unique id is logged when a user logs in and it may be the same even if user logs in multiple times. I am trying to get the number of visits made by each user in a given day.

Thanks,
Gowtham

0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

then try this

index=<your_index> <unique_keyword_for_login_from_the_event> | stats  count(unique_id) as count by unique_id
0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

could you please share some sample events? and tell us what do you want to achieve. It is very difficult to understand the above description. you can anonymize any important data in the event.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...