Splunk Search

Fillnull command is not working in my search for specific sourcetype

Gowtham0809

Hi,

I been using fill null commands on my other searched without any issue, but in a specific case i am unable to get any response by using fillnull,

the data is indexed by a source type called CSV, (specific for CSV files), I will have 1000's of empty values in fields so I need to filter our based on my needs. one on my need is to filter it my means if null values. SO I want to replace the empty values in a filled with value-NULL. I used below format.

field name =""RWI State" and i used the fillnull as ....| fillnull value=NULL "RWI State".

but its not filling the filed with NULL values

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

First of all, fields with spaces are EVIL but try this:

... | fillnull value="NULL" "RWI State"

If that doesn't work, then try this:

| eval "RWI State" = if(len('RWI State') == 0, "NULL", 'RWI State')

View solution in original post

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

First of all, fields with spaces are EVIL but try this:

... | fillnull value="NULL" "RWI State"

If that doesn't work, then try this:

| eval "RWI State" = if(len('RWI State') == 0, "NULL", 'RWI State')

Gowtham0809

Thanks for the update, I have many fields such as "RWI State", So so I need to use EVAL for all my fields, or can i do it for all the fields to replace null values. Note, I have too many fields in my data sheet.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

There is the foreach command that you can use to cover multiple fields with one command.

0 Karma

Gowtham0809

adding to the post, replace command works with replacing empty values NULL. MY usecase is to use fillnull

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...