Splunk Search

Field extraction and search issue

mbasharat
Builder

Hi,

I am dealing with an issue because data changed from my source. I was using a lookup as below to search only on the hosts that are in my lookup. This field name NETBIOS was always coming as UNKNOWN\samplehost so I did a simple eval and added UNKNOWN\ with host name in lookup query and that worked great.

index=source1sample sourcetype="samplesourcetype"

[| inputlookup sample.csv | table sample_netbios | eval sample_netbios=upper(sample_netbios) | rename sample_netbios as netbiosName | eval netbiosName="UNKNOWN"."\\". netbiosName]

Now, the data has changed in a way that I am seeing domain coming from data source in netbiosName field e.g.

ABC\host1

XYZ\host2

How can I structure a search where I can filter upfront as in search above regardless of the domain value that come in? I can get rid of the "\" but this means that I will have to eval or rex before everything and then do a match which takes a toll on query performance. My query was taking only about 10 seconds for ~5k hosts matching from lookup to index but aforementioned way cause it to run for ~ 20 mins because it has to go thru all hosts and then do a match on the ones in lookup. Thank in-advance!!!

Labels (3)
Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@mbasharat 

You will need to set up a new field transformation with

(?<netbiosDomain>[^\\]+)\\(?<netbiosHost>.*)

and your source key as netbiosName. Then create your field extraction to use this transformation. The should give you both fields

View solution in original post

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@mbasharat 

You could change the "UNKNOWN" to "*" in the subsearch, but not sure what that would do for performance with the leading wildcard search.

Alternatively, you can create a new calculated field definition, where you remove the domain from the start of the netbios name and create a new field, say, netbiosHost.

Then in your subsearch, you return the field

index=source1sample sourcetype="samplesourcetype" [
  | inputlookup sample.csv 
  | table sample_netbios 
  | eval sample_netbios=upper(sample_netbios) 
  | rename sample_netbios as netbiosHost
] 

Create your calculated field like is set up using the replace shown in this query

| makeresults
| eval netbiosName="ABC\HOST"
| eval netbiosHost=replace(netbiosName,"[^\\\]*\\\(.*)","\1")

Then you  don't need to do the search for all hosts followed by eval as Splunk is doing the calculated field for you.

0 Karma

mbasharat
Builder

Hi bowesmana,

How to consolidate an additional field for netbiosDomain in your below eval please?

| makeresults
| eval netbiosHost=replace(netbiosName,"[^\\\]*\\\(.*)","\1")
| eval netbiosDomain=???

I have also tried below and this one works as well. However, which one will be a better approach?

| eval Split=split(netbiosName,"\\")
| eval SplitHost=mvindex(Split,1)
| eval SplitDomain=mvindex(Split,0) 

By using * in place of UNKNOWN as you suggest produces below error:

Regex: UTF-8 error: isolated byte with 0x80 bit set.

Can you provide a RegEx option to extract both Domain and Host that I can add in props.conf and have the fields extracted at the backend so I can do my searches and calculations as normal?

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@mbasharat 

You will need to set up a new field transformation with

(?<netbiosDomain>[^\\]+)\\(?<netbiosHost>.*)

and your source key as netbiosName. Then create your field extraction to use this transformation. The should give you both fields

0 Karma

mbasharat
Builder

Hi @ bowesmana,

Below worked,

| makeresults
| rex fieldName=netbiosName "(?<NETBIOS_Domain>\w+)\\\(?<NETBIOS_Host>\w+)"

I ended up using below evals in props,

| makeresults
| eval splitHost=mvindex(split(netbiosName,"\\"),1)
| eval splitDomain=mvindex(split(netbiosName,"\\"),0)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...