Splunk Search

Extracting number from a string in order to use stats command. Regex?

paulito
Explorer

Data:

SERVICEPERFDATA::'total 120m'=8%;95;97 SERVICECHECKCOMMAND::check_nrpe3!check_cpu!-a!"warn=load > 95" "crit=load > 97" "time=120m"!"detail-syntax=%(load)% load for %(time) - Thresholds: Warn gt 95%, Crit gt 97%"!show-all!!! HOSTSTATE::UP HOSTSTATETYPE::HARD SERVICESTATE::OK SERVICESTATETYPE::HARD SERVICEOUTPUT::OK: 8% load for 120m - Thresholds: Warn gt 95%, Crit gt 97%

I just need one of the "8%" to be extracted as a number so I can see the average over time for example.

Am I correct in thinking regex can do this?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi there,

if the format of the string is always the same you can use rex to get the first 8 like this

| makeresults 
| eval foo="SERVICEPERFDATA::'total 120m'=8%;95;97 SERVICECHECKCOMMAND::check_nrpe3!check_cpu!-a!\"warn=load > 95\" \"crit=load \> 97\" \"time=120m\"!\"detail-syntax=%(load)% load for %(time) - Thresholds: Warn gt 95%, Crit gt 97%\"!show-all!!! HOSTSTATE::UP HOSTSTATETYPE::HARD SERVICESTATE::OK SERVICESTATETYPE::HARD SERVICEOUTPUT::OK: 8% load for 120m - Thresholds: Warn gt 95%, Crit gt 97%" 
| makemv delim="X" foo 
| mvexpand foo `comment("Anything above is to generate events")`
| rex field=foo "\dm\'=(?<perc>\d)\%"

cheers, MuS 

View solution in original post

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi there,

if the format of the string is always the same you can use rex to get the first 8 like this

| makeresults 
| eval foo="SERVICEPERFDATA::'total 120m'=8%;95;97 SERVICECHECKCOMMAND::check_nrpe3!check_cpu!-a!\"warn=load > 95\" \"crit=load \> 97\" \"time=120m\"!\"detail-syntax=%(load)% load for %(time) - Thresholds: Warn gt 95%, Crit gt 97%\"!show-all!!! HOSTSTATE::UP HOSTSTATETYPE::HARD SERVICESTATE::OK SERVICESTATETYPE::HARD SERVICEOUTPUT::OK: 8% load for 120m - Thresholds: Warn gt 95%, Crit gt 97%" 
| makemv delim="X" foo 
| mvexpand foo `comment("Anything above is to generate events")`
| rex field=foo "\dm\'=(?<perc>\d)\%"

cheers, MuS 

paulito
Explorer

Thank you so much, that last line works perfectly. 

Can I ask if this will capture a multiple digit number?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi there,

for multiples digits you have to add a + like this:

| rex field=foo "\dm\'=(?<perc>\d+)\%"

cheers, MuS 

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...