Splunk Search

Extracting multiple field values from a comma seperated list

Josh
Path Finder

Hello All,

What is the best way to extract into a single field mutiple values from a comma-seperated list:

Example: xxxx Books:1,2,3,65,2,5 xxxxxx

From this I have created a field called Books which contains the string 1,2,3,65,2,5 however what I would like to do is create a field called Books which takes each value as a single entry.

So from the above example I would have 6 entries in the field Book for this particular log entry.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

bwooden
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If you have extracted the field Books with a single value of 1,2,3,65,2,5 and want it to report as a multi-valued attribute, try this at search time:

Books = * | makemv delim="," Books

View solution in original post

bwooden
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If you have extracted the field Books with a single value of 1,2,3,65,2,5 and want it to report as a multi-valued attribute, try this at search time:

Books = * | makemv delim="," Books

Masa
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Just in case, the other option is to use transforms.conf and fields.conf

http://wiki.splunk.com/Community:Comma-Separated_Multi-Value_Field_Extraction_In_Single-line_Event

0 Karma

BunnyHop
Contributor

This can be easily done through regex on your props.conf & transforms.conf:

• props.conf
[sourcetype_for_the_csv]
REPORT-multifield = multifield
  • transforms.conf
[multifield]
REGEX = Books:(\d+,\d+,\d+,\d+,\d+,\d+)
FORMAT = book::$1
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...