Splunk Search

Extracting fields for a report with regex not working

henrikb

Hi

I'm trying to "extract fields" with regular expressions for a specific position on a comma separated log file that always has the same number of fields on each row.

The file looks like this (one row):

2010-09-15 15:38:55 ,Default_TCr10.20_Webb.war,,ODRTEST01,HTTP,37,1,0,37,37,1,2010-09-15 15:33:50 ,2010-09-15 15:38:50 ,0,4.969857,0,0,0,2010-09-15 15:33:50,0

It's separated in 20 fields.

Lets say that I want the field at position 15 i.e. 4.969857 The problem for me how to solve this is that the fields after and before can be '', '0' or 'a date-time' and I can't get | (pipe) and parenthesis to work.

Is it possible solve in Splunk?

I'm using version 4.1.3.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If your events always have those 20 fields separated by commas, you should use a delimiter-based field extraction, as described here in the Knowledge Manual :

http://www.splunk.com/base/Documentation/latest/Knowledge/Createandmaintainsearch-timefieldextractio...

In your case, the following steps should work.

1 - Define the delimiter-based field extraction in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/transforms.conf

[delimiter_based_extraction] 
DELIMS = "," 
FIELDS = field1, field2, field3, field4, field5, field6, field7, field8, field9, field10, field11, field12, field13, field14, field15, field16, field17, field18, field19, field20

2 - Call that extraction for the desired spec (source, sourcetype or host) in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/props.conf

[my_sourcetype]
REPORT-delims = delimiter_based_extraction

The fields defined for extraction should now appear in the field picker.

View solution in original post

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If your events always have those 20 fields separated by commas, you should use a delimiter-based field extraction, as described here in the Knowledge Manual :

http://www.splunk.com/base/Documentation/latest/Knowledge/Createandmaintainsearch-timefieldextractio...

In your case, the following steps should work.

1 - Define the delimiter-based field extraction in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/transforms.conf

[delimiter_based_extraction] 
DELIMS = "," 
FIELDS = field1, field2, field3, field4, field5, field6, field7, field8, field9, field10, field11, field12, field13, field14, field15, field16, field17, field18, field19, field20

2 - Call that extraction for the desired spec (source, sourcetype or host) in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/props.conf

[my_sourcetype]
REPORT-delims = delimiter_based_extraction

The fields defined for extraction should now appear in the field picker.

henrikb

Thanks, this will work for me.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...