Splunk Search

Extract last 3 characters from field

ahogbin
Communicator

Hello,

I am trying to extract the last 3 characters from an extracted field. The field is in the format of 122RN00578COM or QN00001576VSD - numbers vary and length may vary over time) and the characters I am trying to extract are COM, VSD etc

I have tried using Substr and whilst this works in the short term any variation in length of field throws it off.
Is there a more robust method that will allow for changes in field length whilst maintaining the extraction of the last 3 characters (these are always letters)?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Alastair

0 Karma
1 Solution

sundareshr
Legend

This should give you last 3,

substr(x, len(x)-2, 3)

The other option would be to use rex

rex field=x "(?<y>\w{3})$" 

View solution in original post

sundareshr
Legend

This should give you last 3,

substr(x, len(x)-2, 3)

The other option would be to use rex

rex field=x "(?<y>\w{3})$" 

ahogbin
Communicator

Superstar.. thank you so much

0 Karma

JCISplunker
Explorer

Why not the simpler with negative index:

substr(x,-3)
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...