Splunk Search

Extract data from an entry that is dependant on data from a different entry

_dave_b
Communicator

Hello. I'm trying to extract a value from one log entry so I can use it to extract data from another entry, like
Entry 1 Has A and B
Entry 2 Has B and C
I want to get C from Entry 2 using A from Entry 1. I know I can use B to link them together somehow, but I don't know the command to do so. I've been trying subsearches and transactions, but nothing has worked for me.

Thanks for your help.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

the_wolverine
Champion

Assuming A, B, and C are field names.

• transaction:

Entry1 OR Entry2 | transaction B

• subsearch:

Entry2 | join B [ search Entry1 | fields A,B ] | table A,B,C

View solution in original post

the_wolverine
Champion

Assuming A, B, and C are field names.

• transaction:

Entry1 OR Entry2 | transaction B

• subsearch:

Entry2 | join B [ search Entry1 | fields A,B ] | table A,B,C

jluo_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You can use the "where" command to compare field values (where field1=field2). Documentation for the where command: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.0/SearchReference/Where

0 Karma

_dave_b
Communicator

Thanks, but how do I shoehorn that into one search statement?

0 Karma

jluo_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Can you post the search statement you are currently working with?

0 Karma

_dave_b
Communicator

Sure,

date_year="2015" ClothingID="*" [search "Red"]  | rename ShoppingSessionID as Store_Visit | table Person, Store_Visit

I have 1 set of logs with multiple categories of entries. Some entries only have a person's ID, some only have a person's Shopping Session ID, and some have both a person's ID and Shopping session ID for a Successful Purchase (denoted by an entry of "Purchased Red Clothes"). Through these entries, I can link the person's ID to their particular Shopping Session where they made a purchase. I want to see who made a successful purchase of Red clothes.

0 Karma

jluo_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Ah - I misunderstood the question. Transaction should do the trick.

source=log1 OR source=log2 | transaction CustomerID

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...