Splunk Search

Extract Value

nikhilmehra79
Path Finder

I have a search result with following string i just need to extract the value - 0.000 (just before %) from this string below

"XYZ Inc","Air","0 Days + 01:00:00",1,"0.000 %"

I tried following

..| rex field=_raw "(?.),(?.),(?.),(?.),(?.*)" | search Avail != null | table Avail but looks like i need to get more regex

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

rsennett_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Close... you're missing a few details.

Here is your regex (the double quotes are escaped only when you use them in the search box, because the rex command wants the regex contained in double quotes... it isn't regex that requires them escaped, mind you)

your base search | rex field=_raw"^\"(?P<name>.+)\",\"(?P<Type>.+)\",\"(?P<tdtime>.+)\",(?P<number_of_out>\d+),\"(?P<avail>.+)%\""

This site is very helpful for testing:

http://www.regexr.com/

With Splunk... the answer is always "YES!". It just might require more regex than you're prepared for!

View solution in original post

rsennett_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Close... you're missing a few details.

Here is your regex (the double quotes are escaped only when you use them in the search box, because the rex command wants the regex contained in double quotes... it isn't regex that requires them escaped, mind you)

your base search | rex field=_raw"^\"(?P<name>.+)\",\"(?P<Type>.+)\",\"(?P<tdtime>.+)\",(?P<number_of_out>\d+),\"(?P<avail>.+)%\""

This site is very helpful for testing:

http://www.regexr.com/

With Splunk... the answer is always "YES!". It just might require more regex than you're prepared for!

rsennett_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Great! Glad we could help.

0 Karma

nikhilmehra79
Path Finder

Thanks worked.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

remove the hard-coding part and use your own search parameter. This was just the example.

0 Karma

nikhilmehra79
Path Finder

Thanks

the point is "XYZ Inc","Air","0 Days + 01:00:00",1,"0.000 %"
is just one example of event i have various other events with different text, in that case i dont think hard coding the values in seacrh will work?

0 Karma

rsennett_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

nikhilmehra79, you should copy EXACTLY what somesoni2 has given you and try that. Do not change the regex. It is the same as the one I gave you exactly... and it works. The difference is - this version has kindly given you the entire search. I was lazy. 🙂
I have edited the answer accordingly - including the prefix eval so that the code is independent for those of us who do not have your data in an index.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

above regex works for me

• | head 1 | eval _raw="\"XYZ Inc\",\"Air\",\"0 Days + 01:00:00\",1,\"0.000 %\"" | table _raw | rex field=_raw "^\"(?P.+)\",\"(?P.+)\",\"(?P.+)\",(?P\d+),\"(?P.+)%\""

nikhilmehra79
Path Finder

you have a example and is it not possible to use regex to do the same?

0 Karma

rsennett_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You may want to just use the field extractor and avoid using the rex command altogether...

0 Karma

nikhilmehra79
Path Finder

its says error

Error in 'rex' command: Invalid argument: '"(?<Type>.*)"'
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...