Splunk Search

Expression for custom lookup table values

bcanfield83
Engager

Hi All,

This may be a bit of a peculiar question, but I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to use a certain expression in a search query to pull a "maximum" value based upon a custom table (.csv import) that is pulled into the query via the "lookup" command.

The table has 4 possible "Attribute" values which range from "level-1-access" to "level-4-access". In the stats table, a given UserID may have activity that reflect 1 or more of these (thus, a maximum of 4 per UserID).

Below is a sample dataset. What I'm attempting to do is filter this data so that it's only showing the "maximum" (or, "highest") value for each UserID. The rows bolded in green is what I'd want to see, with everything else excluded; thus, there should only be 1 row per distinct UserID.

One possible thought that comes to mind is adding an numeric field to the .csv lookup, though still not 100% certain how to go about rendering the stats table to only include the highest value per UserID. 

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! 

UserIDAttribute
jdoelevel-1-access
jdoelevel-3-access
jdoelevel-4-access
asmithlevel-1-access
asmithlevel-2-access
ejoneslevel-3-access
ejoneslevel-4-access
pthomaslevel-1-access
pthomaslevel-2-access
pthomaslevel-3-access
pthomaslevel-4-access
Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

dtburrows3
Builder

I think doing something like this would work.

<base_search>
    | lookup <lookup_name> UserID OUTPUT Attribute
    | eval
        attribute_regex=".*\-(\d+)\-.*",
        max_attribute=case(
            isnull(Attribute), null(),
            mvcount(Attribute)==1, max(tonumber(replace(Attribute, attribute_regex, "\1"))),
            mvcount(Attribute)>1, max(mvmap(Attribute, tonumber(replace(Attribute, attribute_regex, "\1"))))
            ),
        max_attribute_full=mvdedup(
            case(
                mvcount(Attribute)==1, if(tonumber(replace(Attribute, attribute_regex, "\1"))=='max_attribute', 'Attribute', null()),
                mvcount(Attribute)>1, mvmap(Attribute, if(tonumber(replace(Attribute, attribute_regex, "\1"))=='max_attribute', 'Attribute', null()))
                )
            )

You can see in the screenshot below I used simulated data to do what I think you are asking for.

dtburrows3_0-1703717237716.png

The regex used in the replace command can be adjusted to fit the pattern that is stored in the Attribute field value to just grab the number.

View solution in original post

bcanfield83
Engager

Thank you very much!!! 

0 Karma

dtburrows3
Builder

I think doing something like this would work.

<base_search>
    | lookup <lookup_name> UserID OUTPUT Attribute
    | eval
        attribute_regex=".*\-(\d+)\-.*",
        max_attribute=case(
            mvcount(Attribute)==1, max(tonumber(replace(Attribute, attribute_regex, "\1"))),
            mvcount(Attribute)>1, max(mvmap(Attribute, tonumber(replace(Attribute, attribute_regex, "\1"))))
            ),
        max_attribute_full=mvdedup(
            case(
                mvcount(Attribute)==1, if(tonumber(replace(Attribute, attribute_regex, "\1"))=='max_attribute', 'Attribute', null()),
                mvcount(Attribute)>1, mvmap(Attribute, if(tonumber(replace(Attribute, attribute_regex, "\1"))=='max_attribute', 'Attribute', null()))
                )
            )

You can see in the screenshot below I used simulated data to do what I think you are asking for.

dtburrows3_0-1703717237716.png

The regex used in the replace command can be adjusted to fit the pattern that is stored in the Attribute field value to just grab the number.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...