Splunk Search

Export a csv of all hosts and their sources?

Peter
Path Finder

I need to generate a splunk coverage report that shows all of the hosts and all of the sources they are sending from. What would this search look like and how can I export it? I've tried chart commands, but the "Other" section and the matrix format makes this incomplete for my purposes.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

oreoshake
Communicator

Hmmm, this is a terribly inefficient way of doing it...but if you only need to do it once...

* | dedup host, source | stats count by host, source | sort host

I usually run this search when verifying that I'm getting all of the inputs that I want

View solution in original post

Simeon
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The above search will work for small instances or low volume scenarios. If you need a quick way to get the hosts and sources information separately:

| metadata type=hosts

OR

| metadata type=sources

For information over the last 24 hours:

| metadata type=hosts | eval diff=now()-recentTime | where diff < 86400 | convert ctime(*Time)

OR

| metadata type=sources | eval diff=now()-recentTime | where diff < 86400 | convert ctime(*Time)

If you need to find information for a different time range, modify the 86400 value to your desired time (in seconds).

Also, the first two above searches will give you a very fast and complete summary of all hosts and sources.

oreoshake
Communicator

Hmmm, this is a terribly inefficient way of doing it...but if you only need to do it once...

* | dedup host, source | stats count by host, source | sort host

I usually run this search when verifying that I'm getting all of the inputs that I want

oreoshake
Communicator

That's true, I just use the dedup command to show when the first instance of that source came through. I used to think it counter intuitively sped up the searches, but that's not the case.

0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

typo, should be limit=0 not limit=*

0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

this works, but the dedup clause is unnecessary here as stats does the same work. The difference is you'd always wind up with a count of 1 with the dedup there first. You could also do * | top limit=0 host,source and get percentages in addition to count, or * | top limit=0 host by source, or * | top limit=* source by host which will give you slightly different breakdowns.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...