Splunk Search

Eventtype and Subsearch problem after migration

danyx32

Hi everybody.

After migrating splunk from one node to another I started having problems with eventtypes and subsearch.
We have migrated everything. From apps to users. With the related authorizations.

Now when I run a search with a simple eventtype (Eventtype "example" ---> index = linux sourcetype = suse) the search does not return any results. If you manually specify the index before the eventtype then the search works and returns results (index=linux eventtype="example").
It seems like it's a problem of access to the indexes. As specifying it the eventtype works. If he has to access it only through the eventtype he can not.

I checked the various permissions and executed the eventtype from the app search. Nothing.

if I add this index at the "Indices included by default in the search" the eventtype works.

I also noticed that subsearch does not work. The subsearch does not work in a dashboard moved from the old node to the new one. But if I run it like simple search it works perfectly. The search is correct because the on the old node works. Even here it seems a problem of authorizations. I checked them and it looks like everything it's ok.

I think something happened during the migration. Although everything has been recreated in the same way.

Splunk now is at 7.0.0.

Thank you.

EDIT:

I noticed that if instead of using an index created by the Master Node (Indexers are clustered) I use an index created locally on one of the two nodes eventtypes work properly.
They can not operate only on the indices created by the Master Node.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi
the problem is that an architecture with two clustered indexers used each one both as Indexer and as Search Head doesn'r run on 7.0.0!
In other words executing a search with subsearches on a clustered indexer it doesn't work, there must be a Search Head!

I have this architecture on 6.4.2 and it's still running, instead on 7.0.0. probably is changed somebody in search execution so subsearches don't run if I execute this search on the Indexer.

Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

micahkemp
Champion

It sounds like you aren't searching all indexes by default. Check your roles configuration(s) to see which indexes will be searched by default.

Settings -> Access Controls -> Roles -> (select role) -> Indexes searched by default

You will need indexes.conf on the search head to be able to select the indexes. It needs to match that of the cluster master.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...