Splunk Search

Evaluate json boolean value with if statement

itaigev

Hi all, I am trying to run this simple search:

SourceType=FooMonitoring |eval isSuccess=if(Test.TestIsSuccessful=="true","Yes","No") | table isSuccess Test.TestIsSuccessful

I am getting the following results: (can't post an image...)

isSuccess   Test.TestIsSuccessful
--------------------------------------
No          true
No          true
No          true
No          true
No          true
No          true
No          true

I am expecting all the isSuccess values to be "Yes" but no matter what I do the if expression does not evaluate to true. Tried different ways, tried removing the double quotes around the "true" part with no luck.

Note that the raw data is json, but I didn't encounter any problems with it so far and I don't know if it is related or not...

I am using splunk 6

Please help me figure out what am I doing wrong.
Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Unfortunately, the dot (.) in eval expression syntax means "string concatenate". JSON kv parsing creates variables with a dot in their name, e.g., Test.TestIsSuccessful. However, eval parses that as a concatenation of two variables, Test and TestIsSuccessful.

To get around this, quote the variable name with single-quotes, so that the dot is not interpreted as the concatenation operator:

... | eval isSuccess=if('Test.TestIsSuccessful'=="true","Yes","No") | ...

View solution in original post

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Unfortunately, the dot (.) in eval expression syntax means "string concatenate". JSON kv parsing creates variables with a dot in their name, e.g., Test.TestIsSuccessful. However, eval parses that as a concatenation of two variables, Test and TestIsSuccessful.

To get around this, quote the variable name with single-quotes, so that the dot is not interpreted as the concatenation operator:

... | eval isSuccess=if('Test.TestIsSuccessful'=="true","Yes","No") | ...
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...