Splunk Search

Eval if function with 2 arguments

bleung93
Path Finder
... | eval totalVolumeGB=if(totalVolumeGB=="0",maxTotalDataSizeMB*23/1024,totalVolumeGB)

How would I add in another argument inside the if function?

I want to apply the above search query in 2 different situations. By including "index=summary_*" and "index!=summary_*" essentially have 2 evals.

I have already tried inserting the following

if(totalVolumeGB=="0" && index=summary_*,maxTotalDataSizeMB*23/1024,totalVolumeGB)

but did not eval correctly. What are some options I can do?

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You cannot use the asterisk character like that, eval interprets it as multiplication and complains about not finding the second factor. Try this:

... | eval totalVolumeGB = if(totalVolumeGB=="0" AND NOT match(index, "^summary_"), maxTotalDataSizeMB*23/1024, totalVolumeGB)

View solution in original post

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You cannot use the asterisk character like that, eval interprets it as multiplication and complains about not finding the second factor. Try this:

... | eval totalVolumeGB = if(totalVolumeGB=="0" AND NOT match(index, "^summary_"), maxTotalDataSizeMB*23/1024, totalVolumeGB)

bleung93
Path Finder

This fixed it up. Thanks for the much needed help Martin.

0 Karma

bleung93
Path Finder

I tried following the template in http://answers.splunk.com/answers/101356/and-in-if-statement

| eval totalVolumeGB=if((totalVolumeGB=="0")AND(index!=summary_),maxTotalDataSizeMB*10/1024,totalVolumeGB)
| eval totalVolumeGB=if((totalVolumeGB=="0")AND(index==summary_
),maxTotalDataSizeMB*23/1024,totalVolumeGB)

Got an error banner stating as below...
"Error in 'eval' command: The expression is malformed. An unexpected character is reached at '),maxTotalDataSizeMB*10/1024,totalVolumeGB)'."

0 Karma

bleung93
Path Finder

Resulting into something like this

... | eval totalVolumeGB=if(totalVolumeGB=="0" && index=summary_*,maxTotalDataSizeMB*23/1024,totalVolumeGB)

... | eval totalVolumeGB=if(totalVolumeGB=="0" && index!=summary_*,maxTotalDataSizeMB*10/1024,totalVolumeGB)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...