Splunk Search

Error with timechart command

mahbs
Path Finder

Hi,

I'm having a bit of trouble with this query of mine.

source="xxx" host="xxx" index="xxx" sourcetype="xxx" earliest=-1d@d latest=-0d@d | eval ReportKey="Yesterday"|timechart span= 1m avg("CPU") by ReportKey

This is the error I'm getting:

"Error in 'timechart' command: The specifier '1m' is invalid. It must be in form (). For example: max(size)."

0 Karma

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Your exmaple search seems ok. Just remove space, like.. span= 1m to span=1m

source="xxx.log" host="xxxl" index="xxx" sourcetype="xxx" earliest=$source_tok$ latest=$End_Date$ | eval ReportKey="Yesterday" |timechart span=1m avg("CPU") by ReportKey

0 Karma

mattymo
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

try removing the space from your timechart command?

..| timechart span=1m avg(CPU) by ReportKey

- MattyMo

mahbs
Path Finder

Unfortunately it's not working. Im getting this error message now: The specifier '1m' is invalid. It must be in form (). For example: max(size)

0 Karma

mattymo
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

can you post your updated search?

- MattyMo
0 Karma

mahbs
Path Finder

yep, It's:

source="xxx.log" host="xxxl" index="xxx" sourcetype="xxx" earliest=$source_tok$ latest=$End_Date$ | eval ReportKey="Yesterday" |timechart span=avg("CPU") by ReportKey

I closed the space between the timespace and the pipe

0 Karma

mahbs
Path Finder

I should add, the message I''m getting now is:

Error in 'timechart' command: You must specify data field(s) to chart.

0 Karma

mattymo
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

yeah, still got typos there.

| timechart span=1m avg("CPU") by ReportKey Or you can leave span out and let Splunk automagically do it | timechart avg("CPU") by ReportKey

definitely check out the docs link below for syntax and examples!

- MattyMo
0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@mahbs, as @mmodestino has pointed out timechart should have span=1m not span=avg("CPU"), please try out the following query:

source="xxx.log" host="xxxl" index="xxx" sourcetype="xxx" earliest=$source_tok$ latest=$End_Date$ | eval ReportKey="Yesterday" |timechart span=1m avg("CPU") by ReportKey

Refer to Splunk documentation and try and understand how timechart command works: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/Timechart

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...