Splunk Search

Error in 'eval' command: Typechecking failed. '-' only takes numbers

raytroy

I have tried many ways to get the difference between two numbers.

Here is what I have tried.

try 1: event=subscription data.price>0 AND data.endDate>0 | eval rr = (data.endDate - data.startDate) Results in Error in 'eval' command: Typechecking failed. '-' only takes numbers

try 2: event=subscription data.price>0 AND data.endDate>0 | convert num(data.startDate) num(data.endDate) | eval j = (data.endDate - data.startDate) Results in Error in 'eval' command: Typechecking failed. '-' only takes numbers

try 3: event=subscription data.price>0 AND data.endDate>0 | convert num(data.startDate) num(data.endDate) | table data.endDate data.startDate Has two columns of data and looks great.

data.endDate data.startDate

1397636176441 1397483257122

1397161336056 1397161260357

I would like to subtract data.endDate from data.startDate. 139763617641 - 1397483257122 =

I always get the error, Error in 'eval' command: Typechecking failed. '-' only takes numbers, for try 1 and try2. I thought it had to do with the data being a string and that is why I tried to convert (the second try). I tabled (try 3) and get output.

Thank you for your help.

Tags (3)
0 Karma

alai
Explorer

Use single quotes:

eval result = 'data.endDate' - 'data.startDate'

0 Karma

HiroshiSatoh
Champion

Use the period to become errors.Changed field names?

・・・・・|eval data_endDate = data.endDate|eval data_startDate = data.startDate|eval rr=data_endDate- data_startDate
0 Karma

raytroy

I think I have solved the problem. The data.endDate was one level deep in the tree and the . was the only way to access the information inside those columns. Once I moved the data to the outer most tree level it worked. Lesson learned, make all the data on one level and don't embed object or events inside another event/dataset. Thank you for your help.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...