Splunk Search

Error in Eval Command

KNichol5hd
Explorer

sourcetype=campusmgr earliest=-72h latest=+72h [search sourcetype=msdhcp earliest=03/10/2013:12:40:00 latest=03/10/2013:15:40:00 | eval dest_ip=if (match(sourcetype,"pan:traffic"),src_ip,"") [search sourcetype=pan:traffic src_translated_port=##### src_translated_ip=###.###.##.## earliest=03/10/2013:12:40:00 latest=03/10/2013:15:40:00 | return 10 src_ip] | return 10 dest_ip] | chart count by user | sort - count

Error in 'eval' command: The operator at '(src_ip="###.###.##.##") OR (src_ip="###.###.##.##") OR (src_ip="###.###.##.##") OR (src_ip="###.###.##.##")' is invalid.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong here?

*The sourcetype=src_ip in pan:traffic appears as dest_ip in sourcetype=msdhcp.
*The dest_mac in sourcetype=msdhcp appears as src_mac in sourcetype=campusmgr.

Ayn
Legend

Well you're tacking on a subsearch directly onto an eval statement. That's why you're getting an error.

0 Karma

KNichol5hd
Explorer

I am trying to combine 3 separate searches into one.

The first search begins within sourcetype=pan:traffic. I use the src_translated_port and src_translated_ip to return the src_ip that I am looking for.

I then want to match that src_ip to the dest_ip within sourcetype=msdhcp, which is currently my second search. I use this search to return the dest_mac that I am looking for.

The third search is within sourcetype=campusmgr. I want to match the dest_mac returned from sourcetype=msdhcp to the src_mac with sourcetype=campusmgr.

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

Depends. What's the purpose of the subsearch?

0 Karma

KNichol5hd
Explorer

This the first I've ever worked with subsearches. Do you know what the correct format should be?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...