Splunk Search

Does zooming out on timeline re-execute search?

kamryn
Explorer

I was watching the Splunk Fundamentals 1 videos and they state that when zooming in on the timeline the same search is being used but when zooming out a new search is being executed. However, I've found this entry in the Splunk Fundamentals 1 PDF.

Does zooming out on the timeline re-execute a new search?
alt text

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

HI @kamryn,

No, zooming in and zooming out will not re-execute splunk search. (I'm using Splunk 7.2)

tgurantz_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Zooming OUT should re-execute the search since you are now including new content (when zooming OUT you are including more time than the original search). Whether or not re-execution happens during zoom IN is a different matter (and doesn't appear to be your question).

UPDATE: If we look at the Jobs page (Activity > Jobs), we can see that zooming in and out all create new jobs that run. Doesn't that answer our question? In my case I can see jobs running for both zoom in and out.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...