Splunk Search

Does zooming out on timeline re-execute search?

kamryn
Explorer

I was watching the Splunk Fundamentals 1 videos and they state that when zooming in on the timeline the same search is being used but when zooming out a new search is being executed. However, I've found this entry in the Splunk Fundamentals 1 PDF.

Does zooming out on the timeline re-execute a new search?
alt text

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

HI @kamryn,

No, zooming in and zooming out will not re-execute splunk search. (I'm using Splunk 7.2)

tgurantz_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Zooming OUT should re-execute the search since you are now including new content (when zooming OUT you are including more time than the original search). Whether or not re-execution happens during zoom IN is a different matter (and doesn't appear to be your question).

UPDATE: If we look at the Jobs page (Activity > Jobs), we can see that zooming in and out all create new jobs that run. Doesn't that answer our question? In my case I can see jobs running for both zoom in and out.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...