Splunk Search

Does localize work with transaction or am I misusing localize?

chanfoli
Builder

I have built a search with transaction which works beautifully on 6.1.2 and now I am trying to get base transaction events which mark the beginning of a problem. I am filtering down my transaction using the duration field e.g. "| search duration>3". After reading the documentation for localize, if I supply a reasonable maxpause value and set timebefore and timeafter to 0 I should get a list of events which localize my incidents. I have tried maxpause of 30s, 5s, default which is documented as 60s, and I have both left timebefore and timeafter as the default and tried zero and no matter what, localize appears t0 be giving me little or zero results when there are clearly events in the results before localize. Does this sound like a misuse or a bug? Can you think of another way to get the event count per incident and the times of base events/transactions in each blob of slow transactions as found by my search?

[UPDATE - thanks ppablo]
Thanks ppablo, I understand, it would take me a while to sufficiently mask my data. The basic things at play are pretty simple though, transaction is grouping my data into sets of two events, a request and a response, and it is adding a duration field. I am adding "| search duration > 3" to locate interesting transactions and I want to use localize to tell me something about the clumps of these slow transactions, most importantly the time of the first one.

As a little more concrete example consider the following search:

[my search] | transaction maxspan=1m startswith=REQ endswith=RES txn_id | search duration > 3

In a certain hour, this produces 543 transactions in the results, made up of 543 event pairs and most of these can be localized, by looking at the timeline, to 5 separate 4-15 second incidents which are not continuous. After reading what the localize command did, I surmised that I could do the following and get 5 results including the ranges of these incidents:

[my search] | transaction maxspan=1m startswith=REQ endswith=RES txn_id | search duration > 3 | localize maxpause=10s timebefore=0 timeafter=0

but it actually only 1 result with a count of 3 so it appears to not be doing what is documented.

Thanks,
Sean

Tags (2)
1 Solution

chanfoli
Builder

Thanks for viewing and at least thinking about is Splunk answers community. I solved my problem by writing an python search command which I named clusterstats and I shared it with the world at http://apps.splunk.com/app/1869/

Yay me!

-sean

View solution in original post

chanfoli
Builder

Thanks for viewing and at least thinking about is Splunk answers community. I solved my problem by writing an python search command which I named clusterstats and I shared it with the world at http://apps.splunk.com/app/1869/

Yay me!

-sean

ppablo
Retired

Hi @chanfoli

It'll be useful to post examples of your data and the current search you're using for search gurus on Answers to help you out 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...