Splunk Search

Distinct count limit workaround

nbharadwaj
Path Finder

So I use the following workaround to get over the 100k hurdle with distinct_count(field1)

....| stats count by field1 | stats count

However I need to include other metrics (field2, field3) in the same search. For example

....| stats avg(field2) avg(field3)

How can I compute all the three metrics in one search?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I believe that limit has been removed as of version 4.2, so I think if you can upgrade, you can get around it easily that way.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I believe that limit has been removed as of version 4.2, so I think if you can upgrade, you can get around it easily that way.

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It will make it a bit less efficient but eventstats can make a first pass for you.

Eventstats avg(field2) as f2 avg(field3) as f3 | stats first(f2) as f2 first(f3) as f3 count by field1 | stats count first(f2) as "avg field2" first(f3) as "avg field3"  
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...