Splunk Search

Discrepany in "Count"

willadams
Contributor

My requirement is to detect login attempts by a disabled user. Typically this could be found using eventcode 4768 and result code 0x12. I wanted to enhance this to look specifically for a user that has been "disabled" in AD. With this in mind, I wrote the following search that joins 2 indexes that contains the information and it gets the results.

index=windows EventCode=4768 AND Result_Code="0x12" | bucket _time span=5m | stats count by Account_Name | where count > 8
| rename Account_Name AS SamAccountName
| join type=inner [search index=adinfo source=csv:ad Enabled=false | fields SamAccountName]
| table *

While this is good information and achieves my objective, I noted a discrepancy in the counts for certain users. If I drop the join and just use a query such as

index=windows EventCode=4768 AND Result_Code="0x12" | bucket _time span=5m | stats count by Account_Name | where count > 8

I will get results. However what I have noted that some users (not all) show a discrepancy in count. For example

User1 (join shows count of 10 | non-join shows count of 10)
User2 (join shows count of 15 | non-join shows count of 16)
User3 (join shows count of 3400 | non-join shows count of 3459)
User4 (join shows count of 9 | non-join shows count of 9)
User5 (join shows count of 45 | non-join shows count of 45)
User6 (join shows count of 98 | non-join shows count of 99)

I unable to figure out why this discrepancy exists. I also did find that if I then view a particular user (for example User3 from the join statistics) and drill down I eventually end up with the same numbers that I would find in the non-join search.

Tags (2)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi willadams,
there's a limit of 50,000 results in subsearches, so maybe you don't have all the results.
So please, try a different approach:

(index=windows EventCode=4768 AND Result_Code="0x12") OR ( index=adinfo source=csv:ad Enabled=false)
| stats dc(index) AS index_num count BY SamAccountName
| where index_num>1 AND count>8

If you want to add some field, add them to the stats command with the value(my_field) AS my_field option.

In your main search, if you don't use _time in the following stats, you don't need the bin command.

Ciao.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

willadams
Contributor

I am trying to add the additional values in but it doesn't seem to output to any statistics or visualisation to view the data. All the data is visibile in "Events" (if I run in Verbose mode). Here is what I constructed from the above query

(index=windows EventCode=4768 AND Result_Code="0x12" Account_Name!="*$") OR ( index=adinfo source=csv:ad Enabled=false)
| stats dc(index) AS index_num count BY SamAccountName values (SamAccountName) AS User
| table User count

I also tried to then do the following

(index=windows EventCode=4768 AND Result_Code="0x12" Account_Name!="*$") OR ( index=adinfo source=csv:ad Enabled=false)

| stats values (SamAccountName) AS user
| table user count

I also then tried the following to try and get some data displaying. Again in Verbose mode I can see the events are picked up but I don't have any statistical views etc to view what I need

| stats values(user) AS User 
| stats values(src_ip) AS src_ip 
| stats values(dest_nt_host) AS dest_nt_host 
| stats values(dest_ip) AS dest_ip
| table user src_ip dest_nt_host dest_ip

| stats dc(index) AS index_num count BY SamAccountName values(user) AS user
| table user
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi willadams,
when you say "| stats values (SamAccountName) AS user" you are meaning "| rename SamAccountName AS user", is i t correct?
If not, beware because after a stats command you can use only the fields of the stats, in your case only user, so you haven't more index_num and count that you use in the following rows.

Then beware to the stats command "| stats dc(index) AS index_num count BY SamAccountName values (SamAccountName) AS User" it isn't correct, there are two errors: the BY clause must be at the end of the row and you cannot have a space between values and parenthesis.
The correct one is "| stats dc(index) AS index_num values(SamAccountName) AS User count BY SamAccountName".

In the following tries there's the same problems of stats fields: you can use only the fields of the previous stats command.

Ciao.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

Sukisen1981
Champion

if you add max=0 like this, what happens index=windows EventCode=4768 AND Result_Code="0x12" | bucket _time span=5m | stats count by Account_Name | where count > 8
| join max=0 type=inner [search index=adinfo source=csv:ad Enabled=false | fields SamAccountName]
| table *

0 Karma

willadams
Contributor

Adding the max=0 does seem to help as where there is a match the count for each index is identical. However there is one where the count shows a difference of "1". For example User7 shows 1495 (non-join) and 1496 (join). This may be due to an anomaly I haven't picked up (i.e. something else that is contributing to that event) but not entirely sure.

Would it be better to not use join and use stats? The problem is I have no idea how to convert this join to stats, as I would like to make this search more efficient.

0 Karma

Sukisen1981
Champion

hi @willadams
As @gcusello mentions, try using the stats query if you are sure you are not joining over 50k results then the query with max=0 should be correct, and the discrepancy could be due to the execution time.
Try the stats and see if it matches your needs

0 Karma

willadams
Contributor

I checked when I got in this morning and found that the number of events that are being returned by the join is just under 600000 events, way above the subsearch limit of 50000. I will steer towards using the stats command and see if this gets me the data I want.

The non-join search returns under 10000 events by itself.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...