Splunk Search

Diff of two values over time for multiple events in one search

burgean
Explorer

I have a search:

index=storage_summary sourcetype="isilon:quota"| eval Usage_GB=round('usage.logical'/1024/1024/1024,0) | delta Usage_GB as delta | eval change = Usage_GB - delta | timechart span=1week values(Usage_GB) values(change) by path where count in top400

At this point I get an output like this:

splunksearch.JPG

And the change value is this:

splunksearch2.JPG

I need to do some diff on each of these columns (there are a lot) to see the change from one weekly value to the next.  For instance the path 3DDental changed from 227GB to 233GB.  The change value isn't right for each consecutive week for each path.  For instance, the 3DDental path, the change values should be 1,1,1,1,3 for each week interval.  3DMD didn't change so those values should be 0 for each week interval.

Is delta not the right command to use?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

How about something like this:

index=storage_summary sourcetype="isilon:quota"
/* Get usage in GB */
| eval Usage_GB=round('usage.logical'/1024/1024/1024,0)
/* Sort by path then _time */
| sort path _time 
/* Get change in usage */
| delta Usage_GB as delta 
/* At this point, when you change paths, delta will be the difference between the first usage for a path and the last usage for the previous path. So, eliminate the first usage for each path */
| streamstats count as row by path
| where row > 1
| fields - row
/* Now chart the usage and delta by path over time */
| timechart span=1week values(Usage_GB) values(delta) by path

View solution in original post

burgean
Explorer

Woot!  That worked! I still needed to do the top400 thing so that all the paths are evaluated, but the numbers are correct!  Thank you so much!

index=storage_summary sourcetype="isilon:quota"| eval Usage_GB=round('usage.logical'/1024/1024/1024,0) | sort path _time | delta Usage_GB as delta | streamstats count as row by path
| where row > 1 | timechart span=1week values(Usage_GB) values(delta) by path where count in top400

0 Karma

burgean
Explorer

This data collects the usage on a quota path on our NAS system.  The data is collected once a week, which is a snapshot of space usage for each path.  There are about 360 paths we collect this value on.  I would like to see the incremental change in usage for each path week over week.  Then I can chart or list which path had the highest space consumption over a given week to get an idea how fast the usage is growing, per path.  

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

How about something like this:

index=storage_summary sourcetype="isilon:quota"
/* Get usage in GB */
| eval Usage_GB=round('usage.logical'/1024/1024/1024,0)
/* Sort by path then _time */
| sort path _time 
/* Get change in usage */
| delta Usage_GB as delta 
/* At this point, when you change paths, delta will be the difference between the first usage for a path and the last usage for the previous path. So, eliminate the first usage for each path */
| streamstats count as row by path
| where row > 1
| fields - row
/* Now chart the usage and delta by path over time */
| timechart span=1week values(Usage_GB) values(delta) by path

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I am not sure whether you are using delta in the correct way. Delta will give you the change in the value of a field in two consecutive rows. In your search, you have used it after the initial search where the results will most likely be in time order so you will be comparing Usage_GB for two events which may not be related by path. Next, you are subtracting the difference from the current Usage_GB which in effect should give you the previous Usage_GB. Then you use timechart to group these results by week and path. I am not sure what this chart would even represent. What is it that you are actually trying to do?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...