Splunk Search

Date time formatting variables not producing result I expected

pgoldweic
Communicator

Hi, I have an existing search as follows:

| eval tempTime=strptime(due_at."-0000","%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%3N%z")
    | eval dueDateCompact = strftime(tempTime, "%m-%d-%y")

which I have used to successfully convert a string field ('due_at') representing an UTC value (although formatted without the time-zone designation at the end), to an abbreviated notation (month-day-year) displayed in local time. So, for example, if "due_at" has a value of "2023-09-30 04:59:59.000", then the resulting "dueDateCompact" field ends up with "09-29-23" in there, correctly representing  "due_at" but in Chicago local time (5 hours behind UTC). 
However, my current requirements are such that "due_at" comes formatted as "2023-09-30T04:59:59.000Z" (iso 8601 proper) instead of the original "2023-09-30 04:59:59.000" (note: only the intermediate T and ending Z are the differences between original and updated formats). 

Therefore, I updated the first part of my original search to read: 

| eval tempTime=strptime(due_at,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%3QZ")

(so I am not appending '-0000' anymore to "due_at", since the 'Z' is present in the format string)

but this is NOT producing the correct local time in 'dueDateCompact' anymore (it produces "09-30-23" instead of "09-29-23").  

Is there a logical explanation for this? 

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The letter Z at the end of 2023-09-30T04:59:59.000Z signifies Zulu time. (Zulu equals UTC for practical purposes.)  All you need to do is strptime(due_at, "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%3N%Z").

View solution in original post

pgoldweic
Communicator

Thanks @yuanliu ! That definitely does it. I was sure I had tried this already, but somehow, I seem to have missed that particular format string and was skipping the percent before the Z. Thanks again for replying!

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The letter Z at the end of 2023-09-30T04:59:59.000Z signifies Zulu time. (Zulu equals UTC for practical purposes.)  All you need to do is strptime(due_at, "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%3N%Z").

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...