Splunk Search

Date comparison

pjb2160
Path Finder

Hello,

I would like to compare two dates:

log_time 08/Dec/2014:15:36:34 +1100
_time 2014-12-08 15:36:34

It is my expectation that I can use the below query to compare these dates and identify any log entries where they do not match. This is part of my QA process over indexed log data.

I have been trying the following query but get no results:

index="sec_ldap" | eval compare=strftime(log_time,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S") | where compare!=strftime(_time,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")

I have followed this up by changing the Boolean operator from "!=" to ">" to "<" and to "=" just to confirm it's not the Boolean operater that's yielding unexpected results. I still get no results.

I then ran the following query:

index="sec_ldap" | eval compare1=strftime(log_time,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S") | eval compare2=strftime(_time,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S") |table compare1 compare2 _raw

This is how I realised the formats, even after running the strftime() function, don't match (see above).

Any pointers? I'm wondering if it's a matter of the "log_time" value being considered a "String" whereas _time is considered a "Date" or "Time" data type?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
P

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

pjb2160
Path Finder

Thanks very much for your response, I tried your suggestion but you used a %d instead of a %b for the format (no problem though easily resolved!!)

I also revised the query to compare a sub-string removing the "+1100" from log_time:

index="sec_ldap"
 | eval log_time_sub=substr(log_time,1,20)
 | eval compare1=strptime(log_time_sub,"%d/%b/%Y:%H:%M:%S")
 | where compare1!=_time

Thanks again, much appreciated!
P

View solution in original post

0 Karma

pjb2160
Path Finder

Thanks very much for your response, I tried your suggestion but you used a %d instead of a %b for the format (no problem though easily resolved!!)

I also revised the query to compare a sub-string removing the "+1100" from log_time:

index="sec_ldap"
 | eval log_time_sub=substr(log_time,1,20)
 | eval compare1=strptime(log_time_sub,"%d/%b/%Y:%H:%M:%S")
 | where compare1!=_time

Thanks again, much appreciated!
P

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

Yes, it is because log_time is a string. Try it this way

index="sec_ldap" 
| eval compare1=strptime(log_time,"%m/%d/%Y:%H:%M:%S") 
| where compare1!=_time

This compares both variables in time format.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...