Splunk Search

Custom fields not always showing up

klumpba
Engager

I have a Splunk app that parses some Snort files and assigns some fields to the content. The app works fine from the Splunk web page, but when I use the REST API (via Splunk for Java) I do not get my custom fields back unless they are in the search criteria. For instance, if I search for "src_ip_addr=*" then I will get the fields back in the results, otherwise I don't.

I used to get them back regardless in Splunk 4.0. What do I need to change to get them to always come back for my sourcetype?

Thanks for any help...

-Brian

kbains
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The other option is to use the required_field_list and status_bucket (anything over 0) during the POST:

status_buckets = integer

* defaults to 0.
* The most status buckets to generate. (0 = do not generate timeline information) 

required_field_list = (comma separated list)

* default to empty
* This is the list of required fields that, even if not referenced or used directly by the search, will still be included by the events and summary endpoints. 

Lowell
Super Champion

Certain field extractions are automatic disabled in 4.1 when it appears that the field is not needed. (An interactive search from splunk's web interface all fields are enabled.)

I think all you should have to do is add a fields command to your search. Something like:

your search | fields src_ip_addr

You may also get the same effect by explicitly passing in the required_field_list to your dispatch request. (Was this just called fields in a previous version of the API? Maybe I'm remembering this incorrectly.) It seems like this should do the trick too, but I'm not 100% sure.

klumpba
Engager

Ah, thanks! Tossing "fields" in there did the trick. Thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...