Splunk Search

Cron schedule

Ash1
Communicator

We have an alert where the cron schedule runs for every 6hours

0 */6 * * *

but I don’t want to receive the alert at 6pm only how can I write a corn for that???

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Ash1
Communicator

Hi @richgalloway , thank you for that.

i have one more question, can u pls help on this

I want a cron where alert should trigger  4 times a day starting from 12am, 6am, 12pm, 6 pm and weekday only at 6am everyday

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Ash1
Communicator

Thank you all

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If your problem is resolved, then please click the "Accept as Solution" button to help future readers.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can specify the exact hours you want the alert to run.

0 0,6,12 * * *
---

Ash1
Communicator

Hi @richgalloway , thank you for that.

i have one more question, can u pls help on this

I want a cron where alert should trigger  4 times a day starting from 12am, 6am, 12pm, 6 pm and weekday only at 6am everyday

0 Karma

marnall
Builder

As richgalloway said, you need 2 separate alerts for 2 separate cron schedules. To make this maintainable, you could make a single Saved Search, then make 2 separate alerts that reference the single Saved Search using the | savedsearch  (https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/Savedsearch

Each alert will have a cron schedule:

1) 4 times a day starting from 12am, 6am, 12pm, 6 pm (weekends - Sat and Sun)

0 */6 * * 0,6

2) only at 6AM on weekdays (Mon-Fri)

0 6 * * 1-5

For formulating cron schedules, I recommend using the website https://crontab.guru/ as it makes a human-readable schedule at the top.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

To have different cron schedules you have to clone the alert and set a separate schedule for each copy.

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...