Splunk Search

Cron schedule

Ash1
Communicator

We have an alert where the cron schedule runs for every 6hours

0 */6 * * *

but I don’t want to receive the alert at 6pm only how can I write a corn for that???

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Ash1
Communicator

Hi @richgalloway , thank you for that.

i have one more question, can u pls help on this

I want a cron where alert should trigger  4 times a day starting from 12am, 6am, 12pm, 6 pm and weekday only at 6am everyday

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Ash1
Communicator

Thank you all

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If your problem is resolved, then please click the "Accept as Solution" button to help future readers.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can specify the exact hours you want the alert to run.

0 0,6,12 * * *
---

Ash1
Communicator

Hi @richgalloway , thank you for that.

i have one more question, can u pls help on this

I want a cron where alert should trigger  4 times a day starting from 12am, 6am, 12pm, 6 pm and weekday only at 6am everyday

0 Karma

marnall
Builder

As richgalloway said, you need 2 separate alerts for 2 separate cron schedules. To make this maintainable, you could make a single Saved Search, then make 2 separate alerts that reference the single Saved Search using the | savedsearch  (https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/Savedsearch

Each alert will have a cron schedule:

1) 4 times a day starting from 12am, 6am, 12pm, 6 pm (weekends - Sat and Sun)

0 */6 * * 0,6

2) only at 6AM on weekdays (Mon-Fri)

0 6 * * 1-5

For formulating cron schedules, I recommend using the website https://crontab.guru/ as it makes a human-readable schedule at the top.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

To have different cron schedules you have to clone the alert and set a separate schedule for each copy.

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...