Splunk Search

Creating new fields and setting values for fields retrieved on search.

misteryuku
Communicator

I put the key value pairs of the log message into the content body whenever i create new events throught the splunk's receiver endpoint, so that i can see new fields being added.

hater = yes, nothater = suck, splunk_server=L33603

splunk_server field was retrieved during serach and i set the value to it. When i sent the data for indexing, the new fields are created but the value of the splunk_server field wasn't the value that i set.

Tags (3)
0 Karma

ben_leung
Builder

Here is a list of splunk default fields you might want to get acquainted with.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.3.2/Knowledge/Usedefaultfields

0 Karma

the_wolverine
Champion

splunk_server is a reserved field used by Splunk. You should choose non-reserved field names.

You can confirm this by searching any event that does not contain your splunk_server key=value and see that the field exists in every event.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...