Splunk Search

Creating a custom date field

ebruozys
Path Finder

Hi,

Is there a way to create a custom date field in Splunk?

Sow lets say I have multiple events, all of these events have a date field CREATIONDATE. Now I want to create a new date field for events that have the action called "Validation" in them. And I would like to call this new date field VALIDATIONDATE.

I'm thinking this should be possible with the 'where' command, but I'm not certain how to use it.

0 Karma

Super Champion

you can try like this:

index=indexname action="Validation"|eval VALIDATIONDATE=now()|eval VALIDATIONDATE=strftime(VALIDATIONDATE,"%d/%m/%Y %H:%M:%S")

here search for action="Validation" then create new field VALIDATIONDATE using eval function and assign it the value like here it will assign current time .

0 Karma

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What should the new date field's contents be? A copy of CREATIONDATE?

... | eval VALIDATIONDATE=CREATIONDATE

The current time?
... | eval VALIDATIONDATE=now()

Some other date relative to CREATIONDATE?
... | eval VALIDATIONDATE=relative_time(CREATIONDATE, "-1w")

If instead you are trying to create a new extraction to create this date out of some "validation date" that's inside an event, please post one of the events in question and we can totally help you with this!

0 Karma

ebruozys
Path Finder

The validation date is indeed a copy of the creationdate, but as I mentioned above it should only be created when its combined with the event action "Validation"

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...